This is the Life!
Stories of Grandpa Charlie Bangle
Bishop to Las Vegas
TITL Image Gallery
<< Previous Image All images in this album Next Image >>
319 Rhyolite Bank.JPG
319 Rhyolite Bank.JPG
12/10/2011 7:33:56 AM

Ghost town.  Established in 1905, Rhyolite in 1907 had concrete sidewalks, electric lights, water mains, telephone and telegraph lines, daily and weekly newspapers, a monthly magazine, police and fire departments, a hospital, school, train station and railway depot, at least three banks, a stock exchange, an opera house, a public swimming pool and two formal church buildings. Most prominent was the three-story John S. Cook and Co. Bank on Golden Street. Finished in 1908, it cost more than $90,000, equivalent to $2,190,000 in 2011.  Much of the cost went for Italian marble stairs, imported stained-glass windows, and other luxuries.

<< Previous Image All images in this album Next Image >>